Diversity & Inclusion Statement
“Camps often carry the connotation of being utopian communities, bubbles where the world’s “isms” cannot penetrate. To this, we say, Yes, and…. Yes, we can all acknowledge that camps give us a world of good. We also must recognize the ways [reality] in which the real world shows up each summer” (American Camp Association).
FLX Adventure Camp at Paddle-N-More values the need to maintain an inclusive camp community that eliminates stereotypes, bias, and bullying based on differences that include but are not limited to age, gender, ability, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual identity, and socio-economic status. We highly value creating a welcome space for each camper who attends our camp.
How we can support diversity and inclusion together:
The younger generation of today are navigating a tough social scene! Together we can strive to help navigate the changing world we live in. Our goal is to continue to provide a camp space that is not just fun, but welcoming to all!
What we strive to do:
- Recognize everyone as unique individuals with their own interests and skills.
- Create communication channels that allow for learning and growth using appropriate language.
- Create a sense of belonging where diverse identities, backgrounds, abilities, and interests are respected and valued.
- Create and maintain a space where people are given opportunities to express themselves, develop, and be recognized for their contribution and achievements.
- Continue to evaluate policies to ensure that children and youth can play and participate in our programs and activities without discrimination, harassment, or bullying.
- Uphold our Code of Conduct standards and model best practices within our camp community.
- Create an environment where conflict is resolved in a respectful manner and be comfortable with being uncomfortable when it comes to tough conversations.
- Approach each conversation from a place of professionalism and respect to all.
What we ask you to do:
As much as we work to create a welcome environment for all, we need the help of parents and guardians to continue the discussion about what it means to help create this type of environment. Youth development takes a team! Although summer camp is a time for play and fun, it is also a time for continued learning and growth. We only want to be part of the team that that supports development and well-being of our younger generation.
- Have conversations with your child about how to help create a safe environment when in diverse communities – words can hurt – we may control our intentions behind our words, but we cannot control how someone else interprets the meaning. THINK before speaking.
- Keep communicating with us if you hear or see anything that impacts not only the safety of your child, but the safety of all children within our camp.
- Understand that we strive to keep an environment that supports fun, growth and safety for all participants.
- Consider us as your partner in promoting a welcoming environment for our diverse community.
- Approach each conversation with our camp community from a place of professionalism and respect for all.
Thank you for your continued support and help in making our camp programs at FLX Adventure Camp a welcoming environment for all!